Monday, March 5, 2007

“Obesity surgery triples amongst U.S. Teens”

This was one of the major headlines on the news today. It made me think about our society and the obesity that goes with it. I can’t make up my mind; On one hand I am happy that teens are looking out for their health by having the surgery considering the amount of risk involve in it. And yet on the other hand I am not sure if surgery is really the answer for these kids. Its almost like taking the easy way out. The real question in my mind is what kind of a massage we want to send out to our youth: “that it’s ok to eat unhealthy food and taking the easy way out” or that “hard work and self discipline can lead to success”. Let’s face it, we all hate to work out and eat healthy food all the time; but the reality is for the most part we get what we ask for.

No comments: