Monday, April 16, 2007

The Media...

All day the media has been going after the administration for not doing enough. I on the other hand would take the administrations side because I just get really sick of the media going crazy and trying to find somebody to blame after every major tragedy that we are faced with as a nation. In this particular case, I think the administration took the necessary steps to deal with the situation; the first group of officers at the first scene believed that it was a domestic dispute that resulted in a shooting. The officers then surrounded the building and started looking for proper evidence (talking to witnesses) as a means to collect information on the suspect. I don’t think that it would make sense for a university that large (population of more than 36,000) to have all operations stopped over what was thought as a single incident by the university police. That being said, I believe that there is always room for improvement and I am sure that all universities around the country are going to review there emergency policies over the next few weeks. I also like the idea of warning the students using helicopters after it was known that a madman was going on a shooting rampage. But in my opinion, for us to be so quick in pointing fingers at one another is not the best way to deal with such a catastrophe. Now is a time for mourning and reflection, those who are to bed held accountable will be so at a later date, for now let us stay united.

No comments: